Pineapple sage (Salvia elegans) one of the many species mint family and is absolutely one of the prettiest and easiest to grow. It is commonly used in baking, cooking and adds a nice touch to beverages. The leaves have tangy flavour and fragrance of pineapple. The red, bright flowers are also edible and taste like a mix of mint and citrus.
The Salvia genus originated it’s name from the Latin verb “salvare,” which means “to save.” Many ancient cultures used different kinds of sage medicinally to treat health problems such as indigestion and heartburn. It also calms the nervous system, it was even used as traditional medicine in Mexico for people who suffer from anxiety. It also helps with lowering the blood the pressure.
If you are looking for a refreshing drink, then adding pineapple sage is a great idea. Crush and rub the pineapple sage leaves inside a glass. It can also be pureed with citrus fruits like orange to create a cool, summer drink.
One of the most common way of using pineapple sage flowers is to add a few tablespoons of chopped petals to a pound cake, it not only adds flavour but as a decorative look. It can also be made into a jam and jelly concoctions. You can also make pineapple sage syrup for your waffles and pancakes.
For food lovers, pineapple sage can be used in plenty of recipes. You can make salsa and salads and many more. The sweet scented leaves complement nearly all types of dishes that call for a rich flavor.
How to make pineapple sage tea
- Boil pineapple leaves in a cup of water.
- Boil it for 5 minutes and then it should be cooled.
- Add Honey or sugar to enhance the taste of tea.
- The pregnant and breast feeding women should avoid the use of Pineapple sage.
- It may interact with the sedative medications and also cause sleepiness.
- The people who are ill or having any health concerns should consult the health practitioner.
- One cup of herbal infusion is recommended in a day, except during cold or flu, one could have it thrice a day only for 4 days.
- While using herbal remedies one should be aware of the side effects while taking infusions.